Does my business need to be on Social Media?
If you’re reading this then you will be wondering how social media can help your business, and if you really even need it in the first place?
In short, yes, you do need it and yes it will help your business in ways which you can’t begin to predict right now. Social Media could open up a host of possibilities for your business and expand the reach of your brand to a global audience. If you are a small business, the benefits can be huge.
For example, during a recent campaign I was working on, we were approached by some large brands who wanted to work in collaboration with us for a couple of promotions. This in turn, expanded our reach and helped to reinforce the credibility of our brand and the campaign we were running.
“90% of brands use social media to increase brand awareness”
Social media is amazing for making connections with your audience, reaching out to new followers and for collaborating with other brands. If you have a successful small business already then utilising social media in the right way (and there is a right way) can help propel your business to the next level.
“71% of consumers who have had a good social media service experience with a brand are likely to recommend it to others” [Ambassador]
So now you are probably wondering where to start, what you need to do first, and what is the right way to use social media for your business? The most important piece of advice I can give you right now is to do your research! Spend time getting to know the different platforms and thinking about how your customers use them too.
Ten things to research about social media for business:
- Identify who your dream customer is and find out which platforms they prefer to use
- Look at your competitors social media accounts, follow them and monitor them for a couple of weeks to get a feel for how they are run
- Note down which type of content from your competitors gets the most engagement, for example photos, polls, questions etc.
- Look at the types of comments their customers leave, what are their questions and what do they respond positively to? Could you use this information to help you inform what you are going to post about?
- Take a look at which #hashtags your competitors and ideal customers are using
- Look through the content within that hashtag and jot down ideas that are applicable for your business
- Spend time looking at how their pages are set up and the information that is available to their followers. Think about how you would set up your profile and note down your ideas.
- Look at how they represent their brand through their social channels, they may be using one or two fonts and a colour scheme. Think about how you would create your brand identity for your social media channels.
- If you have a product based business then look at how different businesses sell their items through social media and think about how it could work for you. The same applies if your business is service based.
- Join some small business networking Facebook groups. They are great for picking up tips and making connections with other small businesses, either locally or nationally.
If you feel like you want to discuss any ideas for your business as you move forward on social media, please drop us an email and we’d be happy to chat! Some of my services may help you get off the ground running and save you considerable time and effort. You can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram for daily tips and advice.